08 June, 2022

Temporary closure of the blog

Update (16 Mar 2023): the issue has been settled.


Dear followers of Twitter, subscribers and readers of this blog


Earlier today, I found a tweet obviously using my photograph without my permission. The photo contained a blue translucent logo I often insert either at the bottom left or right of each image I uploaded online. It clearly constitutes a copyright infringement, and I have sent a tweet directly to the person in question, but no response is made so far.

All photos I upload on this blog, my website and Twitter are my works except very few images which are specifically mentioned in a caption. I have NEVER relinquished the copyrights. I withhold myself at the moment from taking further action against the person in question, such as filing an official complaint to Twitter, Inc. or taking a legal action against him, but note that I always reserve the right to resort to any measures deemed proportionate whenever necessary.

Such a case is not new to me. I have been inserting the logo to deter people from copying images without my permission, and make the photos easy for me to find when uploaded somewhere. With the deepest regret, it now appears that the current logo did not work well so that I have no choice but to take more actions as follows:

  • This blog will be temporarily closed whilst photos are examined, and they will be covered with another watermark in due course.
  • Some photos on Twitter may be deleted. Upcoming images will have a watermark of my Twitter ID.
  • Photos on The Red List of Trains in Japan will have a watermark with the URL of the website, and it takes effect immediately.

I am merely an amateur photographer, but I have already spent more than a decade, spent substantial amount of money and made great effort to take photos, edit them and upload them online with English texts, just like each of you, the kindred minds across the world. I would like to urge once again: do follow rules of copyright, and ask me in advance if you want to use any of my photograph. If you send me a message on Twitter, I would be happy to talk about the photos, and I would send you the original-sized image if necessary.

I regret the decision, and I am fully aware that these measures make photos far less attractive and not a few people may feel it annoying, but I appreciate your understanding.


KHKQ, a Japanese railway enthusiast